Different Campfires

I've just returned from another weekend long campout/family reunion at my parent's farm This time around it was my father's side of the family. And, like last time, I took my guitar with me to noodle on. Now, dad's side is not anything like my mom's side. I love them dearly, but I never really feel like I fit in while growing up. It is a sports oriented family and I just didn't know how to relate to them. While they played sports, I read books and did my own thing. Now that I'm adult, it isn't so bad.

But vestiges remain.

I spent some time just noodling around, trying to find a chord progression that could be adapted for a song on my mind. I had several of my cousins and their offspring sit and listen or ask questions that were kind of cool. But I also had people shooting off their mouths "Don't you know how to play anything?" "That's not how that goes!" "Play Stairway!" I was just waiting for someone to shout "Freebird." I had one uncle walk up to me and say "I used to wish I could sing, but now I pray you don't." Nice. He's also the one who said "you ain't no Roy Clark, but you sure is as big as him." Nice again. At least that's what I think he said. He didn't have his teeth in at the time. I found it all quite frustrating.

In the end, however, I did my own thing, like I always do, and that's just fine. I was heartened when one of my cousin's children asked me to get my guitar out. She said "Why aren't you playing? I like to hear you play." Now that was nice

3 Comments:

  1. Saints and Spinners said...
    Oh my.

    The next time someone asks you to play Stairway to Heaven, you can let them know that Robert Plant was driving out of Portland, Oregon, when he heard a pledge drive dj on a radio say that they would promise never to play the song. Plant pulled over, pulled out his credit card, and donated: http://www.prx.org/pieces/3955
    Clydesdale Jogger said...
    How interesting!

    These family reunions really take a toll on my introverted nature. In the end it was a pleasant Sunday afternoon. And a nice farewell to the farm. Mom and dad will be moving within the month and putting the house and original 7 acres on the market.
    Guitar Musings said...
    That's too bad that some people can get so mean. It's those negative comments that really stick with you too. At least, it does for me. Glad to hear that you still did your thing. Some of the best musicians I have heard and played with let those types of comments roll off of their skin. I wish I could do that.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.