Goal!!!!!

I've sat in front of this screen for nearly an hour now. I know what I want to say, but the words just don't seem right. I want to talk about the movie I wrote about previously. I want to talk about how it has crawled under my skin and taken residence in the smaller rooms I keep in the back of my head. I want to talk about how beautiful the music is in that room, how the story replays leaving me pleased. I want to tell everyone how that film has made me feel. But the words aren't there.

I am depressed.

The story of the film has demonstrated to me that I will never, ever be a true musician.

And as much as I've claimed on this blog that I never aspired to be, nevertheless I have nurtured the notion that I am, at the very least, a novice—an amateur.

Now I am afraid that I am a wanna be. I know music. I know the theory. I know the rote and rhyme. I have some amount of talent with my voice and with my instruments. But I will never create music of my own.

Bullcrap you say. I hear you. I have written songs. I have recreated the songs of others. I know. I'm very proud of what I've done. Still, I know my skills are limited, my knowledge is scant. I am a dabbler.

And usually that suffices.

But I watch a movie like “Once” and my spirit falls. Yet at the same time so inspired.

So, I am resolved. I will stop being half assed in the songs I teach myself. I will learn one song, front to back, inside and out. And then I will learn another. I will push myself to the limit of my technical skills and see how far I can go.

Why not start with the song from the movie that haunts me? Falling Slowly? And actually learn the finger picking and how to move between all the chords and between picking and strumming and the odd strumming pattern and all that?

I have a goal.

2 Comments:

  1. Saints and Spinners said...
    Some years ago, there was a Body Shop ad that had depicted voluptuous version of a Barbie doll named "Ruby" and the phrase, "There are three billion women who don't look like supermodels and only eight who do."

    Later on, my storytelling professor said that most people could become good storytellers and a few people would become great storytellers.

    I have "Once" from the library, but I've not seen it. I'll probably get a case of the blues too (will I want to play them?!). I do think that "true" musician is subjective. Will we become virtuosos and tour with Leo Kottke? Nah. Will we make music in our living rooms and out in the world? Yes!
    Clydesdale Jogger said...
    Thanks Al. I do appreciate what you're saying. The movie just describes a side to music making I'll never experience. So I was sulking a bit. But I'm feeling much better now. Especially after I watched the movie with the commentary on and learned how difficult some of the musicians found the music to be. HEE HEE!!!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.