Between the Strings

Schroeter, John, comp. Between the Strings: the Secret Lives of Guitars. Colorado Springs, CO: MelBay, 2004. 352.

Wow.

I just finished this book a few days ago. I had to give it a few days to decide what to write about. I'm still not sure.

Between the Strings is a collection of stories, anecdotes, ruminations, musings and tall tales revolving around guitars. It is what I try to write about here on Amish Guitar. Except, this book is compiled from writings by well known guitarists and luthiers. The insight these great players give is humbling as well as encouraging. How wonderful it is to read of these big names who also have self doubt; who are also frustrated by this box with strings!

I have to be honest and say that there were a large number of guitarist's names that I didn't recognize. That said, I also admit that I don't know the who's who of the guitar world. Nevertheless, these stories about what guitars have meant to these artists ring true right to my bones. It just makes me feel good to know that my own emotional responses to the guitar (never mind the music it makes) is not so different after all.

I wish I could find more books like this.

Get it. Better yet, borrow it from your local library. If the library doesn't have it, make them get it for you by Inter Library Loan.

I found this review that does the book much more justice than I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.