Perspective

I was thinking about my guitar playing while driving on a long trip this afternoon. Everywhere I've been lately talks about having to have commitment and desire to grow as a player. Well, I have that. But, like many things in my life, I committed on my terms.

I love playing the guitar. I want to be better. I want to enjoy playing. I want to be able to pick it up and play "campfire songs" and change chords without feeling like my fingers are made of lead and my brain of jello. I do want that. I will work at improving.

That said, guitar is not my life. I've got three wonderful kids that need help with their homework. I have a wife who is struggling with a new job and needs some support and a listening ear. I have other interests that vie for my time. I have a job I enjoy, a church I feel a part of and mind that is interested in learning a little bit of a whole hell of a lot.

So, I am committed, but only as far as I'm willing to be committed. I may complain about lack of progress and wish for more. I think that is natural. The point is, however, I'm not doing this to make money, to be "an artist," or to define my life. No, the guitar is only a part of my life. If slow progress is the price to pay, I'll gladly pay the bill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.